As a small business owner in Columbus, NE, I am so glad to be a part of the future of our local downtown community. As Treasures Boutique celebrates 20 years in downtown, it’s wonderful to see the investment that both my fellow business owners, and also the city of Columbus, have made in our neighborhood. I was given the chance recently to participate in a Downtown Study Group where we discussed ideas for an updated “Downtown Revitalization Plan”. I shared my own ideas and opinions, but mostly listened and learned, while an interesting discussion took place about the future of the downtown area. I came away feeling really excited about the possibilities and direction our downtown area is going.
I thought many of my readers would like to learn a little about the conversations happening about the future of our downtown, and how you can take part in that planning the future of our downtown.
A few proposed topics for the design plan from our study group:
- Removing stoplights downtown in order to slow traffic flow on 13th Street
- Removing the one-way restrictions on 13th and 14th Streets
- Moving the war memorial statue from Frankfurt Square out to near the Higgins Memorial in Pawnee Park, and then replacing the memorial with a new structure or art statue.
- Adding picnic tables and free internet to Frankfurt Square
- Adding “green space” along 13th Street by planting trees and adding planters
- Placing a tax levy on downtown business owners to help pay for green space improvements
- Subsidizing for the construction of affordable living spaces in the upstairs of downtown businesses
- Closing 27th Avenue between 13th and 14th Streets to provide for a walking entertainment district
- Providing free public restrooms inside the new Community Center for public use
- Renovating the old theatre in a way that would benefit the community
How YOU take part in the design plan
- Attend The Columbus Downtown Revitalization Community Design Workshop this Tuesday, June 7th at 6 pm, or Wednesday, June 8th 11 am – 1:30 pm at Cork & Barrel, 1354, 27th Avenue. Click here to see the flyer invitation on our Facebook page
- Scan the QR code on the flyer invitation, and take the downtown
design survey and share your ideas
Many of our Treasures Boutique customers enjoy and embrace our downtown like I do, and I hope you will both attend the Design Workshop and take the survey. After learning more, I know that you will be as excited and inspired by the discussion of the future of our historic downtown as I am. And I hope you will talk to your friends and neighbors who care about the direction and future of our downtown and also invite them to join in the important discussion. If you and not a Columbus resident but would like to support Treasures Boutique and help us to celebrate 20 years in Columbus, you can shop our online store anytime at Columbustreasures.com